How to find us
HSE Schemes explained

Health / Medical Expenses Relief

You may claim tax relief on certain unreimbursed medical expenses incurred by you for yourself and/or your qualifying dependants. You cannot claim relief for any expenditure, which has been or will be reimbursed, for example by Quinn-healthcare, the VHI, VIVAS Health, the Health Service Executive or where a compensation payment is made or will be made.

If you claim relief for the one person, the first €125 of expenses incurred in the year of claim is disallowed. If you claim relief for more than one person (i.e. spouse, dependents), the first €250 of expenses incurred in the year of claim is disallowed.

Who can I claim Medical Expenses for?

You can claim Medical Expenses incurred by you:

  • On your own behalf
  • On behalf of a dependant. (A dependant is any relative of yours or any other person who at any time during the year of claim is aged 65 years or over or who is permanently incapacitated by reason of mental or physical infirmity.)
  • On behalf of a relative. A relative is defined as:
    • Husband, wife, ancestor, lineal descendant, brother or sister
    • Mother or father of your spouse
    • Brother or sister of your spouse
    • Spouse of your son or daughter
    • Your child, Any other child, who in the year of the claim, is in your custody and maintained at your expense and under 18 years of age, or if over 18 years of age, is receiving full-time education.

How Do I Claim?

Tax relief can be claimed after 31st of December of the year of claim. Alternatively you can complete a Form Med 1 at the end of the tax year and send it to your Regional Revenue office. You should also send in evidence of payment of tax for that year (Form P60 in the case of a PAYE employee - both Forms P60 in the case of both spouses working and taxed under Joint Assessment).

There is no need to submit receipts with your claim, but only expenditure for which you hold receipts can be claimed. If you are claiming dental expenses a completed Form Med 2 should be obtained from you dental practitioner. These receipts and Form Med 2 must be retained for a period of 6 years as you may be asked to produce them if your claim is chosen for detailed examination.

Expenditure which Qualifies for Relief

  • Costs of doctors and consultants fees Items/treatments prescribed by a doctor/consultant (see below)
  • Items/treatments prescribed by a doctor/consultant (see below)
  • Maintenance or treatment in a hospital or an approved nursing home
  • Costs of speech and language therapy carried out by a Speech and Language Therapist for a qualifying child
  • Transport by ambulance
  • Costs of educational psychological assessments carried out by an educational psychologist for a qualifying child (allowable from 6 April 2001)
  • Certain items of expenditure in respect of a child suffering from a serious life threatening illness
  • Kidney patients' expenses (up to a maximum amount depending on whether the patient uses Hospital Dialysis, Home Dialysis or CAPD)
  • Specialised Dental Treatment - see below
  • Routine Maternity care
  • In-Vitro Fertilisation

The following, where prescribed by a doctor, qualify for medical expenses relief:

  • Drugs and Medicines
  • Diagnostic procedures
  • Orthoptic or similar treatment
  • Hearing aids
  • Orthopaedic bed/chair
  • Wheelchair/wheelchair lift (no relief is due for alteration to the building to facilitate a lift)
  • Glucometer machine for a diabetic
  • Engaging a qualified nurse in the case of a serious illness
  • Physiotherapy or similar treatment
  • Cost of a computer where it is necessary to alleviate communication problems of a severely handicapped person
  • Cost of gluten-free food for coeliacs. As this condition is generally ongoing, a letter (instead of prescriptions) from a doctor stating that the individual is a coeliac sufferer is acceptable. Receipts from supermarkets in addition to receipts from chemists are acceptable.

Where qualifying health care is only available outside Ireland, reasonable travelling and accommodation expenses can also be claimed. In such cases the expenses of one person accompanying the patient may also be allowed where the condition of the patient requires it.

Dental Treatments Which Qualify For Relief

  • Bridgework
  • Crowns
  • Tip Replacing
  • Veneers/Rembrant Type Etched Fillings
  • Endodontics - Root Canal Treatment
  • Gold Inlays
  • Gold Posts
  • Orthodontic Treatment
  • Periodontal treatment
  • Surgical Extraction of Impacted Wisdom Teeth

What Treatments do not qualify for relief?

  • Routine Dental Care - Tax relief is not available for the cost of scaling, extraction and filling of teeth and the provision and repair of artificial teeth and dentures.
  • Routine Ophthalmic Care - Tax relief is not available for the cost of sight testing, provision and maintenance of spectacles and contact lenses.


  Contact UsLegal DisclainerUseful Links
Pharmasave Website
Moran's Pharmacy on Facebook HSE Schemes Drug Payment Scheme European Health Insurance Card LTI Scheme Medical Cards Information on Tax Relief Downlaod EHIC Form Download GP Visit Application  Card Form Download Medical Card Application Form Downlaod Over 70's Medical Card Form Download MED 1 Form Download MED 2 Form